As a new year began, I contemplated on the best decisions I've made the previous year. I realized I had a handful and one of them was joining GCI. As I completed several tasks for Sugar Labs, it completely felt like I was stepping into a whole new world I never knew existed. Personally, it was the first time in my life that I was able to partake in the open source community and contribute to it, albeit in very simple ways, with the guidance of the mentors from Sugar Labs.
Ultimately, through all the tasks I've claimed and accomplished, I was able to learn several things with the support of the mentors. They were very helpful and even answered the silliest of the questions with extreme patience. Nevertheless, without their help, I wouldn't have procured the most significant attainment from the overall experience, which is that I was able to learn. You see, these kinds of opportunities are very rare for me. Thus, all of the tasks I've completed, such as researching about the women in the open source community, making a manual for Turtle Blocks, or hosting a DIY SoaS party, were all extraordinary and helped me to gain diverse experiences and insights. True, I've spent countless sleepless nights balancing my school work and completing the tasks, yet they were all worth it at the end of the day because during the process, I had fun and discovered many things I did not know before.
However, one difficulty I encountered while completing the tasks for Sugar Labs was that the instructions were quite general or vague. Nonetheless, because of this, it made the tasks very uncontrolled and gave room for creativity. As a result, I was able to challenge myself and learn even more.
Now that GCI 2014 is ending very soon, I have to admit, it is quite upsetting. My email won't be my Facebook anymore (since all the notifications were sent to my email address and I checked them, like every 5 minutes) nor would I be freeing my afternoon schedule to complete the tasks. Even so, I am still very fortunate that I can look forward to GCI 2015.
---





댓글 없음:
댓글 쓰기